December 1: Contemporary Embroidery Workshop with Sarah K. Benning
Saturday, December 1, 11-2 PM or 3-6 PM
The Line Hotel
3515 Wilshire Blvd. Los Angeles, CA 90010
Abandon your embroidery expectations and embrace freestyle stitching during a hands-on Contemporary Embroidery workshop!
Sarah K. Benning's contemporary approach to embroidery pulls this craft out of the past and into the present with modern designs and a relaxed attitude. She emphasizes drawing, composition, and color choice over rigid structures and traditional stitches. This workshop celebrates intuitive decision making and a departure from the conventions of hand-embroidery.
Throughout the course of this hands-on workshop, Sarah will share her favorite techniques, materials, and inspirations through demonstrations and discussion. No experience is necessary and all are welcome!
- You will get to use and take home
- workshop exclusive designs
- 5-inch wooden embroidery hoop
- cotton fabric (though you are welcome to bring your own special fabric if you would prefer--please make sure it's at least 7x 7 inches!)
- thread snips
- and lots of DMC embroidery floss to share.
Sarah K. Benning is an American fiber artist with a home base in Keene, New Hampshire. Originally from Baltimore, she attended the School of the Art Institute of Chicago and received her BFA in Fiber and Material Studies. Shortly after graduating in 2013, Sarah discovered her love for embroidery almost by accident and the hobby quickly turned into her full-time career. Sarah primarily works from home in New Hampshire, though embroidery workshops, markets, and exhibitions take her out on the road quite often.
Sarah’s work is inspired by interior design trends, a love for Midcentury design, antique textiles, and her own potted plant collection. Each piece begins as a drawing before being meticulously hand-stitched. In this way, the thread become more like ink or paint than traditional embroidery, which accentuates the bold shapes, patterns, and color in the compositions.
- You’ll receive a 15% off discount in Poketo shop at The Line Hotel as well as all future workshops.
- Please arrive 15 minutes early and check in at the Poketo store inside The Line Hotel. Valet parking is available at the hotel at a reduced rate of $12 for workshop attendees. Otherwise, there is offsite street parking available nearby.
- If you are no longer able to attend, we are able to provide online store credit only if the cancellation is made more than two weeks prior to the course date. Should you have any questions, or if this workshop is sold out and you would like to be put on a waiting list, please visit our Workshops FAQ's page or email email@example.com.
- In need of a little post-workshop R&R? Book a room online at thelinehotel.com with code: POK3515 and receive a very special Friends and Family rate from Poketo.