Japanese Floral Arrangement, Ikebana Workshop with Haruko Takeichi
Saturday, September 29, 12-3 PM
Poketo Project Space at ROW DTLA
777 S. Alameda St. #174 Los Angeles, CA 90021
(213) 372 - 5686
Learn the essentials of the Japanese art of flower arrangement, Ikebana, in this beautiful, meditative workshop. Masterful instructor Haruko Takeichi will share her 35 years of experience as she walks the class through the history of both Ikebana and the modern, avant-garde Sogetsu school in which she is trained. Students will learn the different expressions and styles of arrangement while exploring a number of natural materials, from branches and leaves to fruits and flowers. Watch a master at work and get personal feedback as you craft your own arrangements, culminating in a large floral composition that you will bring home to decorate your own living space.
In this workshop we will explore the following themes:
1. Wood / Branch construction
2. Line becomes surface
3. Connection using two vases.
The workshop will start with a demonstration for each one of these themes which you will get to practice and express your own personal style.
- Haruko Takeichi has been practicing the art of Ikebana for over 35 years. She began studying in the Sogetsu school under Shunyo Okinaka in 1980 and received both a first-degree grandmaster teaching qualification as well as the highest rank of “Riji” from the Teachers Association at Sogetsu Headquarters. Her work has been featured at the Japanese American National Museum and the Hammer Museum, where she was honored with a celebration on the 25th anniversary of her teaching. In April of 2017, she received an award for her longstanding dedication and contributions to Japanese cultural art in Southern California.
- All supplies are included in the workshop. You’ll also receive a 15% discount at Poketo Project Space as well as all future workshops. This is a great workshop for team-building and for the whole family. Please read our Workshop FAQ for more info
- Please arrive 15 minutes early and check in at the brand new Poketo Project Space at the Row, a new community of independent retailers and restaurants. Parking is free in the parking structure on site. All materials are included in the workshop.
If you are no longer able to attend, we are able to provide online store credit only if the cancellation is made more than two weeks prior to the course date. Should you have any questions, or if this workshop is sold out and you would like to be put on a waiting list, please visit our Workshops FAQ page or email firstname.lastname@example.org.