Summer starts tomorrow (!) and we’re already dreaming of barbecues, picnics in the park, lazy afternoons by the pool, leisurely strolls on the beach and hiking in the mountains. In celebration of this beloved season, we’ve got our store stocked with a bevy of in-store exclusives featuring talented designers and brands we personally love. These goodies aren’t available online so if you are in the LA area, do be sure to drop by our brick-and-mortar store in the Arts District at 820 E. 3rd Street.
Here’s some summer essentials we’re carrying at the Poketo store:
1. Billykirk leather and canvas bags and accessories – Founded on the desire to make lasting items that get better with age, brothers Chris and Kirk Bray started Billykirk in 1999. Most of their small leather goods and bags are handmade by in-house artisans or by a group of Amish leather crafters in Pennsylvania, in line with the brothers’ appreciation for utility, longevity and provenance.
2. SUPER sunglasses – It’s hard not to describe SUPER sunglasses without throwing in a couple of superlatives, no pun intended. Sparking the trend of acetate sunglasses, SUPER sunglasses are all handmade in Italy and feature Zeiss lenses, which give a high level of protection to the eyes under all conditions. Each design is produced in limited batches, features multiple color graduations and comes slightly oversized, inspired in part by the sunglasses found at flea markets. They’ve got quite the cult following too, and have been spotted on everyone from Justin Bieber to Rihanna to David Beckham. Even so, we think they are super stylish in and of themselves.
3. Generic Surplus Shoes – Founded in Los Angeles, Generic Surplus captures the spirit and aesthetic of the city’s diverse, modern-day urban landscape. Blurring the line between sneaker and shoe, casual and dressy, the shoes are defined more by the individual wearer and his sartorial sense than the singular design itself.
4. Salt Water Sandals – Supple leathers and adjustable rust-proof buckles make the Salt Water Sandals a timeless waterproof sandal. The Hoy Shoe Company has been creating these hand-stitched sandals since 1944, which are cleverly designed to mold to your feet when wet so you can wear it anywhere from the beach to an outdoor dinner party.
5. Altru Swim Shorts – Headquartered in Downtown LA, Altru Apparel creates clothes that fit the modern American lifestyle, from the Eastern Seaboard to the California Coast. At work, or on the weekend, Altru’s vibe is light-hearted, witty, and fresh; immediately recognizable, and altogether wearable.
6. Soludos Espadrilles – These timeless, stylish and comfortable summer kicks come in a 100% cotton upper in a palette of colors and patterns that epitomize the casual, relaxed spirit of this sun-kissed season. Natural eco-friendly jute soles make these simple and affordable shoes breathable and versatile enough for the beach, the city and everywhere in between.