As longtime Dusen Dusen fans, our collaboration with designer Ellen Dusen in creating new Poketo Design planners and notebooks has got us glowing. What started out in 2010 as a women’s clothing line has moved its eclectic and bright prints to linens, stationery, and beyond. In this mini Q&A, we dig deeper into the life of Ellen– her hopes for the line, what she does to relax, and her favorite ice cream flavor.
1) Tell us a little bit about Dusen Dusen.
Dusen Dusen was started in 2010 as a women’s clothing line with a focus on bold prints in bright colors. I started the line with no official formal training, and instead studied the visual system and how it relates to our perception of color in art in school. Last year I launched Dusen Dusen home, which uses my prints in a new, larger context. The collection includes bedding, towels, throws and pillows.
2) Our notebook and planner collaboration recently launched. Can you speak about the design process?
Angie and I picked some of our favorite prints of mine from over the years, and thought about what would best translate into notebooks and planners. In general the prints are fun and light with a sense of humor– I love how these came out!
3) With apparel, sheets, and notebooks & planners now covered, what projects would you like to work on next?
I hatched a new dream of doing a larger scale project, designing interiors for a cafe or bar or something in that realm. I have been thinking a lot about tiles, which maybe are in my near-er future!
4) Of everything you’ve ever made, what’s your favorite?
I think my favorite thing I’ve made is a table I made during a residency in San Francisco. It is made of layers of plexiglass and clear resin and looks different at every angle. It has a real psychedelic vibe.
5) If you could move anywhere in the world, where would it be?
I really love Mexico. I wish New York would just move to the Yucatan peninsula. We would all be much happier there!
6) What do you do to relax?
To relax, I like to knit or hand sew. If I’m not using my hands to do something, I feel totally unproductive. It’s therapeutic for me to sit, watch tv or a movie, and be doing something at the same time.
7) Best piece of advice you’ve ever received?
Be true to yourself!
8) Do you prefer…:
- Dogs or cats? DOGS!
- Soup or salad? Salad
- Summer or winter? Summer! See above re: Mexico.
9) Who/what’s your favorite..
- Artist? Jonas Wood
- Museum? The Whitney
- Ice cream flavor? Oreo
- Color? Coral
- Movie? Home Alone 2- I’ve seen it the most times.
- Chore? Vacuuming– so satisfying!
- Holiday? Halloween
10) And finally, have any resolutions for the coming year?
Be a better dog owner– longer walks, teach her to do more tricks, make her a dog house.
Thanks Ellen for a peek into your your life, and a collaboration of our wildest dreams. Don’t forget to check out the Dusen Dusen x Poketo Design notebooks and planners out on Poketo.com!